Time magazine recently released their third annual roundup of the most influential people on the Internet, TIME sized up contenders by looking at their global impact on social media and their overall ability to drive news. Some of the people on the list include JK Rowling, Donald Trump, Chance the Rapper and Alexei Navalny. This prompted #justjody to release their first ever list of 25 most influential South Africans.
1. The Guptas. It’s still unclear if they are indeed SA citizens but they sure wield lots of power in local politics. #nuffsaid.
2. Nelson Mandela: His name and legacy lives on.
3. Trevor Noah: Host of the Daily show. Who doesn’t like to see a South African succeeding globally?
4. Julius Malema: The EFF could be the Kingmaker in SA Politics come 2019. He has alse repentantly made worrying statements about land ownership in South Africa. Just give us a heads up when are you taking the land… #askingforafriend
5. Bonang Matheba: Fashion and Media Icon. The Sky is the limit for Queen B.
6. Cyril Rhamaposa: He might be no 1 next year.
7. Wayde van Niekerk: This kind of talent comes around once in a lifetime.
8. Thuli Madonsela: The ex-public protector has been praised globally for her leadership.
9. Mmusi Aloysias Maimane: Leader of the opposition.
10. Malusi Gigaba. His “Home Affairs” had a big impact on SA’S economy.
11. DJ Fresh. This guy gets white people dancing.
12. Baleka Mbete. Speaker of Parliament who does not fully understand how much power she has.
13. Johan Rupert: One of the richest men in SA and according to some also the poster boy for “White Monopoly Capital.”
14. Allister Coetzee: Be honest, under him the Springboks in 2016 left most South African depressed over weekends but in 2017 and after their 3-0 series win over France, South Africa is a happy place again.
15. Casper Noyvest, if it wasn’t for him, Tito Mboweni would have been forgotten.
16. AKA: If only his music was as entertaining as his twitter feed.
17. Helen Zille. Very influential in National politics not so long ago, but now her power has been limited to the Western Cape.
18. AB De Villiers. Other than at BIG international tournaments, he is one of the best cricketers in the world.
19. Pres Zuma. Let’s be honest, he should actually be number 1.
20. Steve Hofmeyer, he is so influential Donald Trump declined his lunch date.
21. Babes Wodumo. Follow her on social media, she has perfected the art of “I DON’T GIVE A DAMN”
22. Mohammed Anas. After getting the man of the match award in a PSL soccer match, he thanked both his wife and girlfriend. That’s true influence.
23. Patrice Motsepe. In 2014 he decided to give most of his money to the poor.
24. Somizi: With his unique personality and talent, having him on the Metro FM breakfast show gets South Africans to work in a happy mood.
25. Fikile Mbalula: Mr Razmatazz is in charge of the entire SA Police Force.